You Should Write About Things You Are Passionate About
We all have to make a living. There’s no getting around that, no matter what you do. The problem with this is, it’s hard to write about something that you don’t care about. When you write about something that you have no interest in, or that you don’t care about, you tend to “phone it in.” The problem with this is that most people can tell when you are writing something just to write. You can’t always write about things that you believe strongly in, but it definitely helps. When writing for other people, there’s not really a way to get around writing about things that you don’t care about. However, when you are writing on your own blog, you can control what you’re writing about. This means that when you are choosing the topics that you want to discuss on your blog, you should choose things that interest you. If they don’t interest you directly, then maybe after a little research you could put a spin on it where it does interest you. Today, I’m going to discuss how important it is to write about things you are passionate about.
For example, if you have an niche blog about photography, then hopefully you are a photographer or you’re passionate about photography. Most people don’t start a blog just to start a blog. So, it is important that you show your passion for what you’re writing about. I write about design on my main site Creative Beacon. I write about Photoshop, Illustrator, HTML5, freelancing, and more. You can tell that I enjoy talking about these subjects, because I have over 700 posts on my site.
There are several reasons why you have to write about things that you are passionate about.Here are just a few of them:
- If you have to do a lot of research, you’re more likely to carry it out when you’re passionate about the subject than if it’s something that you don’t care about.
- Another reason that you should write about things that you are passionate passionate about, is because you will write with conviction. Your writing voice will be much stronger if you believe in what you’re writing about. Think about it. If you’re writing just to write, most likely your words are going to feel meaningless. However, if you believe strongly in what you’re writing about, you’ll have no problem writing in a persuasive manner and backing it up with facts.
- When you write about things you are passionate about, it means that you’ll be able to write every day. If you’re really passionate about the things that you’re writing about, then you’ll be more likely to write consistently, because it’s something that you care about. If it’s something that doesn’t have much interest to you, then you’ll procrastinate and put off writing and you won’t do it as often.
- You’ll also be more likely to spend more time refining your content. If you’re doing it just to try to make money, then most likely you’ll just do it to get it done and throw it out there as it is. This is bad, because you’re writing will look shabby and it will be riddled with mistakes. This will take away from your credibility and will actually hurt your ability to make money from your writing. When you write about things you are passionate about, then you’ll take the time to go back and edit it, check your facts, and make sure that everything is in tip top shape.
- When you’re passionate about what you’re writing about, you’ll more likely to promote it. You’ll spend more time promoting it because you believe in it, which will only help your cause. If you don’t care about what you’re promoting then you won’t spend as much time and effort trying to promote it. You’ll be more likely to talk at your readers rather than talk to them. This can really hurt your writing because it loses its personality. When you lose that personal connection with your readers, they’re less likely to read it or finish whatever they’re reading. Studies show that people are more likely to read and be loyal to writers who address them personally, rather than sitting there lecturing them.
Writing with passion has several benefits. If you’re writing on your blog just to make a profit then you’re going about it the wrong way. The most profitable blogs are those that are written by people that care about what they’re writing about. When you care about what you’re writing about, you can spend the time all day, every day creating new content and sharing new information. You’re more likely to want to learn more and become better at the subject you’re writing about when you believe in it. So when you choose your blog niche, it is important to choose an area of expertise that you care about. You’re going to be spending all day, every day writing about this topic so it should be something that you strongly believe in and you’re passionate about.
What do you think about writing with passion? I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject. Please leave your thoughts or questions in the comments section below